Crear cuenta Mailrelay Crear cuenta Mailrelay Crear cuenta Mailrelay

How to avoid being considered a spammer by customizing your domain

Published by Celia on January 28, 2016

Note from the Mailrelay team, it is highly recommended to perform the configuration explained in this article in your account

This weekend I had a problem that i will not forget easily. I was preparing my weekly newsletter and whent to check the spam score, using the spam detector that Mailrelay offers… but the score was greater than 3. And what was worse, the error the system indicated was related to Google.

At that moment I was in panic. Any error in which the word “Google” appears is something that scares you. But don’t worry, because there is a solution. And that’s what I want to talk about in this article. The problem is that in recent days, Google increased the security for their antispam filter, which can be a problem for many people who send e-mail marketing.

How to avoid being considered a spammer

The first thing to do is to analyze the spam score of your newsletter. For this, after we finish editing the newsletter, we will click on the menu Newsletters> Newsletters, click “Report Spam”.

001

I used an old newsletter I sent before the changes we see. As you can see, it has a score of 2.90. It is always important that this score is showing as 0.

002

As we can see, the report indicates two errors. One is due to the exclamation symbols on the subject line. If you had any  doubt on this point, know that yes: Google considers as spam subjects that are very emphatic. Thus, it is better not to use  these symbols and ensure that your subscribers who use Gmail will get the campaigns without any problem.

And the mistake that scared me: URI_GOOGLE_PROXY which increased the score to 2.60

If you look at the end of the message in red, where Mailrelay shows you the score, there is a link to view the rules and  access the description of each error.

The error about the exclamation symbol was clear … but this other one is more difficult.

If the link doesn’t appear, you can access it  here:

Blog Mailrelay : Review your newsletter’s spam report while creating it

But what happens when the error we are searching for is not on the list …. I initially was a bit nervous and in these situations I can’t think clearly. Then, I tried to calm down, and opened my browser. The internet always has solutions for everything, you only need to know how to search for the correct  answers.

In this case my search was simple: spam uri google proxy .

Great. the filter considered me as a spammer in every way … What a fantastic news. This error, could be translated into  the language of mere mortals who started  in email marketing as a problem that would prevent the subscribers who use Gmail from receiving the newsletter.

Terrible…. But I would not accept it. So I kept searching. There had to be a way to show Google that I was not a spammer and that my subscribers wanted to read my newsletters, as they signed up willingly on my list.

And I found it!

A complete list of many of those weird codes we see in the spam score.

003

In short, Google included me in its blacklist due to Pishing, which is the same as Identity theft! Well … well …

(not from JOSE: Don’t worry, This doesn’t mean that you have stolen the identity of any company or person, or that someone have stolen yours. This is due to the use of tracking links with domains shared by several groups of accounts, and the solution, set up a custom domain, which  you can do easily).

Important warning, Google’s complaint is against the tracking domain, not against the sender domain, once corrected everything will be ok.

But it is important that you make this setting:]

I tried to send an informational newsletter, without images, which now I believe, would pass through Google servers with the new security policy.

However, there was a message in red with a warning to my gmail subscribers. Thus, the quick solution was not an effective alternative, as always happens in these situations.

004

They would only have to click on the IGNORE option. I TRUST IN THIS MESSAGE. But many users will be afraid and won’t read it. Once marked as a reliable link the email would be activated and Google would understand that it is a legitimate message and the users really want to receive the newsletter.

But my God, I thought to myself when facing this problem: “What a mess.” Yes, very complicated. In some cases, the subscribers don’t know you well enough, therefore they could mark the first option, deleting the email, ignore it completely or maybe … better find a solution.

It was Jose who advised me to take a look at the post about customizing the domain. Because the domain you get when you create an account is shared with other users, thus, if another user is sending spam, even if indirectly, my account will not be compromised and it will be possible to avoid unnecessary problems.

The article to which I refer is this:

Setting up a custom domain

E alem disso existem outros artigos, mas se tiver dúvidas, basta entrar em contato conosco que ajudaremos em tudo o que for possível.

And moreover there are other posts, but if you have questions, simply contact us and we will help in whatever way we can.

And with this information, I started to set my custom domain to check if it would solve the problem, so that i could send my email marketing campaigns.

CREATING A SUB-DOMAIN

I had just purchased an email plan, since my blog is hosted on Blogger, but I needed to create a subdomain to follow the instructions of the posts I have just mentioned.

So I purchased a hosting plan. Who knows? The migration option will always be there. Once you have your domain + hosting, enter your cpanel. The interface may vary from a hosting company to another, but the steps are similar.

I created my subdomain as “Newsletter”

005

Now let’s configure the DNS.

006

TYPE: CNAME

NAME: newsletter (it will be the address of the subdomain)

TTL: 300

CNAME: mailer.ip-zone.com

For the CNAME I followed the Mailrelay article. And we will use mailer.ip-zone.com instead of using myaccount.ip-zone.com

When we set it up on the Mailrelay panel we will see why.

Another problem I found was that when creating subdomains, the records were created automatically. This complicated the task of creating a CNAME because I was receiving a “name duplication error”.

I managed to solve this problem by removing the record that was exactly the same as the new CNAME record that I wanted to insert in my DNS. With this little trick, the system accepted the new CNAME record.

CUSTOMIZING YOUR DOMAIN IN MAILRELAY

Once this is done, I added my custom domain in Mailrelay.

Path: Settings -> CUSTOM DOMAIN

007

Enter the domain you created (in my case: newsletter.elperrodepapel.com) and click on Verify. Here you will understand why I used Mailer, because this is the name that Mailrelay gives us to configure the DNS.

As we added this setting before, just click check.

008

That is it! The custom domain is active. And besides, you can delete it at any time if you need to modify it in the future.

009

It was not so hard, was it? Perhaps the trickiest part was setting up the DNS, as in some situations you may need to delete other records.

We can check the spam score

DNS settings can take a while to update, we have to have a little patience, okay? But if you followed the steps slowly and carefully, it will work.

Now let’s see if it is working effectively and the spam score is showing 0.

Click on Newsletters> Newsletters And click on spam report.

010

Perfect! It is showing zero.

You can analyze other newsletters and other notifications may appear, but not the Proxy Google.

Let’s check to make sure that the URL is correct. To do this, click on Edit in any of the newsletters, slightly below click on the “Send test newsletter”.

011

Enter the email address in the box and click Send. The newsletter will be sent in a short time.

012

No warning this time! Good . Let’s check the address to see if our custom subdomain is displayed.

If you have a Gmail account, click on the inverted triangle, a pop-up with various options will open:. Choose Show original and you will see the HTML version of the email.

Now press the keys (Ctrl) + F, to open the search form of your browser. Enter the subdomain name that you created (in my  case newsletter) and press ENTER.

013

And that’s all! The custom subdomain is correct, it has been set up properly!

It is important to use a custom domain to improve the online reputation and avoid unnecessary problems, and you will not be affected by the bad practices of third parties.

If you read this whole post (congratulations! Because it’s very long …) what are you waiting for? Add this setting today.

Did you understand the explanation? I hope so. If you need help, just contact us.

mailrelay-footer-news

Suscríbete y accede al ebook privado:
Cómo enviar correos masivos sin ser SPAM

Acepto la política de privacidad.

Comments

1. Angela Andrea Rincón Castaño

realice todo el proceso.
    ¡Su dominio boletines.sci.org.co ya está configurado!
    ya no tengo problemas de spam, pero los links de mi boletín no van donde yo indico, cuando lo visualizo en la pc, se van al subdominio que cree. Cuando lo visualizo en le celular, sí van a los links que indico, que puedo hacer?

06/02/2018 - 05:06:25 Publicar una respuesta
    • Mailrelay

¡Hola Ángela! Si quieres déjanos un ticket, donde nos pongas una captura de pantalla de la configuración que has realizado, así como un boletín que podamos revisar.

06/02/2018 - 07:27:09 Publicar una respuesta
  2. Carlos

Seguí los pasos que indican, al ver el archivo original en gmail me sale esto DKIM: ‘FAIL’ con el dominio shotcoaching.com Más información, y está enviando el correo a la bandeja de promociones.

18/12/2017 - 06:04:24 Publicar una respuesta
    • Mailrelay

Hola Carlos, para el tema del DKIM es mejor que contactes con nuestro soporte. En cuanto a que el correo llegue a promociones, eso es algo totalmente normal y correcto.

18/12/2017 - 06:59:39 Publicar una respuesta
  3. Marcos

Nada de leer todo junto. Fui leyendo por partes e hice todo 🙂

Ahora, tengo una duda, al revisar el “mail original” en gmail, encontré:

Received-SPF: permerror (google.com: permanent error in processing during lookup of marcos@pensarengrandelat.com: webempresa.cc.ip-zone.com not found) client-ip=93.159.208.209;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
    dkim=pass header.i=@pensarengrandelat.com;
    spf=permerror (google.com: permanent error in processing during lookup of marcos@pensarengrandelat.com: webempresa.cc.ip-zone.com not found) smtp.mailfrom=marcos@pensarengrandelat.com

Cuando estuve en cpanel y creé mi subdominio en Registro del Archivo de zona:

1ero: me di cuenta que ya existían, no sé que habré hecho. Así que lo edité acorde a este tutorial.

2do: en realidad eran 2. Uno lo edité y el otro lo borré.

El que borré era también cname, nombre: mail.pensarengrandelat.com y apuntaba a pensarengrandelat.com

¿este error se deberá a que borré eso?

05/07/2016 - 08:36:24 Publicar una respuesta
    • Mailrelay

¡Hola Marcos! Creo que el error estaría en el SPF, ahora mismo tienes:

pensarengrandelat.com. 1000 IN TXT “v=spf1 include:webempresa.cc.ip-zone.com a mx -all”
      pensarengrandelat.com. 1000 IN TXT “v=spf2.0/pra include:webempresa.ip-zone.com a mx -all”

Prueba a cambiarlo por:

pensarengrandelat.com. 1000 IN TXT “v=spf1 include:pensarengrandelat.ip-zone.com a mx -all”
      pensarengrandelat.com. 1000 IN TXT “v=spf2.0/pra include:pensarengrandelat.ip-zone.com a mx -all”

Así y lo probamos de nuevo 🙂

05/07/2016 - 09:52:06 Publicar una respuesta
  4. Rosa Rodríguez

Súper útil chicos! todo esto me va a servir ahora que ando comenzando con mi proyecto, para poder empezar con buen pie en mi blog.
    Pero les tengo una pregunta, ya que estoy inscrita al newsletter de Mailrelay y todos los bloggers que sigo y constantemente consulto y los cuales (por supuesto) me envían sus correos con este servicio de e-mail marketing, he visto que tienen una modalidad gratuitas para todos los emprendedores (como yo) de hazta 5.000 suscriptores; por eso son mi opción número uno para meterme en todo este mundillo; pero… ¿los ese supdominio que necesito crear para no ser catalogada como spammer por Google también puede ser gratuito? o ¿qué costo adicional tendría?… También me gustaría poder saber si este dominio es solo para mi servicio de e-mail marketing, ¿tiene algo que ver con el dominio de mi página? jaja ya ven tengo muchas dudas al respecto seria perfecto más pots que las puedan disipar jaja. De ante mano ¡Gracias!

21/02/2016 - 03:31:37 Publicar una respuesta
    • Mailrelay

¡Hola Rosa! El dominio personalizado es una configuración que se hace con el dominio de tu web, pero no debería tener un coste extra ni nada, consultaló con tu proveedor de hosting 🙂

21/02/2016 - 08:22:43 Publicar una respuesta
  5. Ignacio Gallego

Muchas gracias por la información! Lo he hecho, aunque luego al dar a verificar me sale este mensaje: “DNS no está configurado correctamente. Espere un tiempo y vuelve a intentarlo” ¿Solo tengo que esperar unas horas o puede haber algún otro problema?

15/02/2016 - 23:07:12 Publicar una respuesta
    • Mailrelay

¡Hola Ignacio! Es posible que haya algún otro problema, es mejor que te pongas en contacto con nuestro equipo de soporte, te pedirán alguna captura de pantalla.

16/02/2016 - 08:26:22 Publicar una respuesta
  6. Jorge

Muy útil Celia! Tengo que hacerlo, que ya me había fijado que otros bloggers lo usaban y ya quería saber como hacerlo, así que me ha venido genial. En realidad el cambio entiendo que se hace en cpanel como muestras en la imagen, por lo que si se tiene el dominio en godaddy y el servidor en otra parte con panel, en éste último es donde habría que hacer lo que has especificado. Me equivoco?

Muchas gracias Celia.

Por cierto José el vídeo que hice lo publicasteis en alguna parte? Si es así se me pasó verlo, así que te agradecería el enlace y darle así más difusión también 🙂

03/02/2016 - 11:12:40 Publicar una respuesta
    • Mailrelay

¡Hola Jorge! Por lo que me preguntas a mi 🙂 creo que el vídeo se envió enlazado en una newsletter. Si quieres escribemé un email y vemos formas de moverlo un poquito más 🙂

03/02/2016 - 11:18:27 Publicar una respuesta
    • Celia

¡Hola, Jorge!

Yo siempre tengo ambos servicios con la misma empresa para que el proceso sea más sencillo.

Si desde tu CPANEL puedes crear subdominios y modificar los DNS entiendo que puedes hacerlo desde ahí.

¡Saludos!

05/02/2016 - 12:58:03 Publicar una respuesta
  7. Alejo Marino

Incluso sin colocar ninguna imagen en mis correos, no hay forma de que mi nivel de spam baje de 0,70 indicando siempre el mismo mensaje: HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_20

La verdad que no tiene sentido porque aunque pruebe quitando las imágenes del correo, sigue apareciendo!!

No sé que hacer, ayuda!

30/01/2016 - 22:55:29 Publicar una respuesta
    • Mailrelay

¡Hola Alejo! Los correos tienen siempre una imagen, que es la imagen que se utiliza para el tracking. Es una pequeña imagen transparente (no se ve en el diseño), pero al enviar está ahí. Ante este error la solución es añadir un poco más de texto al email, hasta que desaparezca 🙂

31/01/2016 - 06:36:56 Publicar una respuesta
  8. Roberto

Hola Celia,
    Muy interesante el artículo. Como nunca me había fijado en el reporte de spam lo hice después de leerlo y sale la siguiente anotación:
    HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_16
    El caso es que en mis boletines no hay una sola imagen, es todo texto puro y duro. No sé por qué da ese fallo… Antes de ponerme a crear un subdominio como recomiendas, ¿alguien podría decirme si esa sería la solución para ese mensaje que se repite en todos mis boletines?
    Gracias

29/01/2016 - 00:20:43 Publicar una respuesta
    • Mailrelay

¡Hola Roberto! Ese mensaje no tiene relación con esta configuración (que igualmente te recomiendo efectuar). Te comento, aunque no lo parezca, todos los correos incluyen una imagen, es la imagen que se utiliza para el tracking de aperturas (es una pequeña imagen transparente). Normalmente si añades un poco más de texto (una nota legal, etc) se soluciona sin más problema (aunque tampoco es un error grave).

29/01/2016 - 07:58:31 Publicar una respuesta
      • Roberto

De acuerdo, haré ambas cosas.
        Un saludo y gracias por tu entrada.

30/01/2016 - 01:07:16
  9. Veronica

Hola Celia!! yo estoy configurando todo también. Esto de crear un subdominio en godaddy sabes si se puede? porque no lo encuentro…
    Muchas gracias!

28/01/2016 - 16:34:42 Publicar una respuesta
    • Celia

Hola, Verónica!

Nunca he utilizado Godaddy así que no puedo asegurarte nada, pero si tienes plan de hosting + dominio te suelen permitir crear un subdominio con el plan más básico.

Si necesitas más subdominioS para blog, tienda, galería… normalmente hay que subir de categoría para tener la opción multidominio.

Lo mejor es que contactes con el servicio técnico, les plantees tu duda y que te orienten sobre las posibilidades que tienes.

Saludos y gracias por comentar!

28/01/2016 - 19:20:45 Publicar una respuesta
    • Ernesto

Hola Verónica, los subdominios en godaddy los creas entrando a cpanel, luego en el apartado dominio y allí en subdominios.
      Un saludo

08/02/2016 - 20:52:57 Publicar una respuesta
      • Mailrelay

¡Gracias Ernesto por la respuesta!

09/02/2016 - 07:54:37